Procedures for Iowa Weapons Permits
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. excluding holidays.
A Non-Professional Permit to Carry authorizes the permit holder to carry weapons with no restrictions as set by the Iowa Code. A Non-Professional Permit to Carry is valid for five years from the issuing date.
How to Apply for a New Non-Professional Permit to Carry a Weapon:
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- Apply to the Sheriff in the county of their residence.
- Submit a completed application form in person to the Sheriff’s Office.
- Submit a handgun safety training course certificate or military DD-214 form.
- Provide a U.S. Government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license).
- Must meet all applicable requirements in Iowa Code Chapter 724.
- Pay the required fee of $50.00 (payment must be made by cash or check).